With there being a large variety of different infant formulas for parents to choose from, comes the struggle of which formula is right for your little one. The choice becomes even more difficult when you have a baby with special dietary needs.
We are here for you, to help you on this crazy journey as we discuss the topic of goat milk formula.
What is Goat’s Milk Formula?
Goat’s milk formula is as it applies, comes from a goat, but what makes it special is that it is great option for babies with special dietary needs. There are several benefits to goat’s milk:
- Similar to breastmilk: Goat’s milk has a prebiotic called oligosaccharides. Oligosaccharides are found in breast milk and make digestion easier because of healthy gut bacteria. The oligosaccharides also make goat’s milk formula easier to digest than cow’s milk formula.
- Higher in some vitamins and minerals than cow’s milk: Goat’s milk has more niacin, copper, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin B6, and calcium than cow’s milk. This means formula manufacturers don’t need to add all these extras in like, because it is naturally found in the milk. Selenium is also found more naturally in goat’s milk than cow’s milk – which is a great antioxidant and helps your baby’s immune system.
- Goat’s milk is only A2: Why would this protein difference matter so much? The A1 protein is broken apart in the body in a way that the peptide BCM-7 still remains unprocessed. This leads to many digestive issues and can cause symptoms similar to a lactose intolerance. There are some cow’s milk formulas made with only A2 milk, but they are not nearly as popular.
- Softer curd: When your baby is digesting goat’s milk, the softer curd makes it easier for their developing tummy to process. This means their digestive system doesn’t need to work nearly as hard and can be a huge advantage for sensitive babies.
- Less lactose: Goat’s milk actually contains slightly less lactose than cow’s milk. Even though it isn’t a dramatic difference, it can make an impact on your little baby.
What are the goat milk formula options?
There are two very popular goat milk options for your babies.
- Kendamil Goat: This is the newest goat milk formula to the European market. It is made with 100% whole milk, and from clean ingredients – giving it the red tractor certification. Just like the Kendamil cow milk formulas, they do not use palm oil, but instead use coconut oil. Lastly, they are vegetarian friendly as their DHA is derived from algae oil and not fish oil.
- Holle Goat: Holle has been making goat milk formula for quite a while and has a large customer base due to this. Parents absolutely love how their formula is 100% organic and from grass-fed goats. They also provide their formula with whole milk and do not use palm oil. They have DHA derived from algae oil as well, which is a plus for many families. One big difference between Kendamil and Holle is that Holle uses maltodextrin in their formulas, which some parents try to avoid.
If you’re looking into the goat milk formulas for your sensitive baby, make sure that you have done your research. Our article is to simply get you started on the research, but don’t let it be the only article you read! Also, speak with your pediatrician to help you choose which brand will be the best for your little one.