Aging cannot only cause wrinkles and blemishes to develop, but it can also lead to various ailments and medical complaints that can slow you down. Despite the many challenges you might be facing, it can be difficult to admit when you need extra help with your health or at home.
If you want to maintain your independence, but are facing numerous obstacles, it might be time to discuss the issue with your loved ones. Here are three signs you need help within the home.
1. A Change in Your Physical or Mental Function
It is crucial to talk to your loved ones and a doctor if you are experiencing any change to your mental or physical function, such as:
- A difficulty keeping track of the time
- Forgetfulness (including forgetting medications or dosages)
- A loss of interest in hobbies or daily activities
- Problems with walking, mobility or balance
- Unexplained injuries or bruising
- Sleeping for most of the day
- Poor judgment (falling for scams or giving away money)
The above could be a sign of an underlying health condition and/or an indication you need more support within the home.
2. You are Struggling with Household Chores
If household chores are becoming increasingly difficult to complete, or you don’t have the energy or ability to make a homecooked meal, talk to your loved ones to discuss your challenges within the home.
You also don’t need to fear you will be placed in an assisted living facility, as you could discuss the possibility of in-home care, which will result in a caregiver assisting with medical reminders, light housekeeping, personal hygiene and in-home cooking at your home. Visit inhomecare.com and start the discussion with your family members.
3. You are Afraid for Your Safety at Home
Everyone should feel safe within their property each day. However, many seniors can find it a challenge to climb the stairs or to take a shower or bath as they grow older, and there is no shame in admitting you need additional support within the home.
If you are concerned your health is at risk at your property, speak to your family members immediately regarding your concerns. For example, they could:
- Remove potential trip hazards within the home (such as loose wires, rugs or clutter)
- Install a stairlift to help you easily move up and down the stairs
- Organize for a walk-in shower/bath to be fitted in your bathroom
- Ensure your essentials aren’t placed at height
- Replace hardwood flooring with carpet to prevent slips
The above home modifications could ultimately provide you with greater confidence when moving across the home and performing everyday tasks.
Don’t suffer in silence if you are struggling in the home, which could reduce your quality of life and potentially affect your future health. If you are worried about your safety, physical or mental function, or cannot keep up with everyday tasks, talk to your loved ones to find a solution to your problem.
Senior Outlook Today is your go-to source for information, inspiration, and connection as you navigate the later years of life. Our team of experts and writers is dedicated to providing relevant and engaging content for seniors, covering topics such as health and wellness, finances, technology and travel.
2 thoughts on “Senior Support: 3 Signs You Need Help within the Home”
Comments are closed.