Orthotics may be seen as necessary in youthful adults or children, but this is not true. Seniors benefit more from custom made orthotics than any other people.
Orthotics are special supports and footwear used in shoes to correct the heels, arch, and foot functionality. They also eliminate discomfort and corrects the problems associated with walking. If you are experiencing strains or pain while walking, custom orthotics will get your problem covered.
For seniors, foot problems could be indicative of other health-related problems. I mean, you should always consult your doctor whenever you experience an unusual feeling as you walk. It could be a minor issue that can be corrected by orthotics. However, you might ignore it and realize that it was a symptom of a serious infection or disease condition within your body.
Some health issues that may result in pain in the feet are related to circulation problems, diabetes, and arthritis, to name a few. For example, poor blood circulation causes muscle fatigue and consequent pain in your legs while walking. In short, seniors need custom orthotics and the ways seniors should care for their feet.
- They are supposed to regularly check their feet or have a friend or a family member doing it. A professional doctor can also be checking the seniors’ feet to notice any abnormalities.
- It’s not healthy to sit in the same position for long. Again, you should avoid sitting for long with your legs closed.
- Ensure that blood is properly flowing into your legs at all times. You can do this by keeping your kegs slightly elevated when you are lying down. If you sit or lie for a while, you should get up and walk around. Jogging also benefits your legs and aids proper blood circulation. Stretches and warm foot baths are also great ideas to promote blood circulation to the legs.
- Wearing the right shoes. You should always wear comfortable shoes that properly fit you. This is where orthotics come in; your feet must be aligned appropriately, have proper support, and be comfortable.
Custom-made orthotics do wonders to relieve foot pain and also enhance comfort and improve foot support. They also help correct one’s posture and ease pain in the lower back, pelvis, and legs.
Although some people will tolerate and adjust to pain for several years, muscle and joint problems in the knees, foot, and other body parts worsen if not corrected.
Several signs will show that you need orthotics to avoid a worse condition. Below are some of them:
- Pain in any part of the foot, e.g., the arch and heel.
- Shin or hip pain.
- Stiff heels.
- Sharp pain under your arches or in the heels.
- Developing bunions or ingrown toenails.
Orthotics is the specialty of several clinics across the world. If you have any of the above signs, you need to book an appointment with a highly experienced orthotics professionals. If possible, they should have experience in chiropractic care. Proper foot care is essential for someone’s good health.