A cold is a viral infection which is very contagious in nature. In fact, unlike other diseases like malaria which you can easily avoid by sleeping under a mosquito net and following other health guidelines given by health officers, it’s almost impossible to avoid cold infections. It takes approximately 14 days or 21 days to some people before the symptoms of the cold completely disappear. This can be actually a very dull period for you especially if you are very unlucky and you find yourself having almost all the symptoms of the cold.
Many people have raised concerns about foods and drinks that one can use to lessen the aggression of the flu or even get rid of it as soon as possible. I personally used to drink a lot of water whenever I got the flu. The idea worked because it loosened mucus in my nose. I always felt relieved anytime I took a lot of water. However, water alone might not be a good assurance of quick recovery from flu. The body at this time requires a lot of energy, proteins, and vitamins to boost the immunity. You will also need something to soothe your throat.
Having that in mind, it will be nice if you take a wide variety of fluids. You don’t need to worry because we have compiled a list of the drinks that will help you get over the flu as soon as possible;
Water will always be at the top of the list. Since the body loses a lot of water during sweating, mucus discharges from the nose; you will have to take a lot of water as compensation. Water will also help to loosen the mucus in your nose. It is advisable that if you are suffering from a flu or a cold, take at least two liters of water or any other healthy fluid per day. The other fluids that you can take are:
- Blended juice
- Decaffeinated tea / rose tea
- Ginger tea. You can make your own ginger tea by slicing some ginger roots and dipping them in a cup of hot water.
- Lemon juice
- Milk will also help
- You can mix honey with hot water and drink it to soften your throat.
- Yogurt contains probiotics which reduce the inflammatory response of the body brought about by the cold. Zinc in yogurt will also boost your immune system.
Alcoholic drinks should be avoided since they dehydrate the body. Studies also show that caffeinated tea will not let you sleep off the stuffiness hence should be avoided.
Deciding on the types of food to eat is equally important. What you eat when you have a cold will actually determine how long the cold will take before you get well. Your diet should always be balanced. Proteins will strengthen your immune system which is busy fighting the flu, if your flu is accompanied by a fever, then energy giving foods will be crucial to provide enough energy that the body requires at these high temperatures.
The following foods have helped me deal with my flu infections in the past so am very sure they will also work for you:
1. Chicken soup is one of the best foods that one requires at this time. The soup should be hot to help loosen congestion in the nose while proteins in the soup will help to boost the body’s immunity. If you have a sore throat, this will be one of the best food for you since it’s easier for you to swallow a fluid that solid food.
- Roasted potatoes are a good meal too to deal with a flu. They contain beta-carotene which is converted by the body to vitamin A (an important component of the immune system).
In case your appetite is reduced by the flu, it will be a good idea to drink your food rather than eating it.
- Eggs will help boost your immunity.
4. In your lunch and dinner add some slices of red pepper which is a rich source of vitamin C.
- Eat fresh ginger roots to reduce the coughing and unnecessary fever too.
- Red meat is an excellent source of proteins and should be included in the diet.
Jessica is the founder of CareHappiness.com. She and her editor work to inspire, educate and empower our readers with all the latest updates and authentic health information.
Senior Outlook Today is your go-to source for information, inspiration, and connection as you navigate the later years of life. Our team of experts and writers is dedicated to providing relevant and engaging content for seniors, covering topics such as health and wellness, finances, technology and travel.